Think Google Thursday: Read&Write extension for Chrome
Google Docs Extension for ESL and Struggling Readers
Read&Write for Google Docs is a new Chrome extension designed for students with dyslexia or learning disabilities and for struggling readers and English Language Learners. The free extension includes the following features:
- Text-to-speech with dual synchronized highlighting (choice of male or female voice with stop, start, and pause functions)
- Talking dictionary
- Picture dictionary
- Vocabulary tool
- Study skills tool to capture Google highlights
Installing the extension provides a special toolbar on the top of your Google documents. Once installed, to use the extension, simply have any Google Document open, and then click on the "Read&Write" tab to open its toolbar. Students can then select text and do the following:
- Click the "Play" button to have the text read aloud.
- Click the "Dictionary" button to see a written definition, which can also be clicked to be read aloud.
- Click the "Picture Dictionary" button to see clip art related to the selected word.
- Click the "Fact Finder" button to open a new tab with a Google search of the text.
- Click the "Collect Highlights" button to pull all the selected texts together in a new window.
- Click the "Vocabulary List" button to open a new window with definitions, related pictures, and room for notes.