Monday Reflections with #WeLead Teacher: Amanda Dismukes

Monday Reflections with Amanda Dismukes

What do you enjoy most right now about your campus?
I love the teamwork/collaboration that goes on not only within our department, but school wide. I feel that our campus is truly engulfed in what is best for our students and our educators bring that mindset to work each day.

Describe a recent lesson that you have enjoyed?
I enjoy teaching many of my lessons, but graphing quadratics has been the best yet. I love when my students and I get to use colorful post it notes with pre-printed graphs. The color helps keep them engaged, and they seem very appreciative of the time that went into planning the lesson. I also love recording my lessons. My students have a blast with that.

What technology tools do you like using most in class right now?
Screen Cast-O-Matic, Chrome Remote Desktop, my SMARTBoard, Khan Academies interactive questions

What is something that your admin does that you appreciate?
I feel that my admin show they appreciate me, as well as other educators. They are knowledgeable as to what is going on in my classroom, as well as events in my life. They seem interested and supportive when asking about “What’s going on?” or “How’s your day?”. A high five or fist bump through the hallway.
“A person who feels appreciated will always do more than what is expected.”
(PTO - I love the SONIC drinks.)

In the past month, what is a new teaching philosophy, idea, strategy, or pedagogy you have tried to adapt in your classroom?
I’m trying to encourage my students to utilize Khan Academy and their exercises that they offer. Although KA doesn’t have a wide variety of questions to offer, they have a wide variety of topics offered, it’s interactive and offers immediate feedback.

What are you looking forward to most this school year?
Each year I enjoy watching my students grow. I love to see their problem solving skills improve while enjoying the material (or that’s how it appears).

Suggestion for new educators:
Find a system that works for you, and embrace it. What system? Classroom management, classroom environment, relating to your students, professional growth, social networking, etc. It’s great to get ideas from other educators, but be happy with molding those ideas into something that works for you.

“Why fit in when you were born to stand out?” - Dr. Seuss

Comments